SIT UP STRAIGHT & PAY ATTENTION!!!
Untap your creativity, professional performance,
health and emotional well-being…not to mention overcome ADHD
Techniques for Training your Attention
How often did we hear ‘sit up straight & pay attention’ when we were growing up? Did anyone ever bother to teach us how to pay attention? Is it any wonder that in this rush-rush-rush world we live in that we have monkey brain when we sit still and want a moment’s peace? Or even gorilla brain when it really gets going.
I am reading a book by B. Alan Wallace and want to share my findings as I go through it…feel free to visit me on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elaine-Scribner-Author/349499848483126 to pose me any questions or thoughts. My intention/hope is that I can post 2-3 times each week as I work my way through the book…so come back and visit me.
* Attention is selective. Not surprisingly, our reality is more what we’ve focused on, not necessarily what’s really out there.
* “…a mind prone to distraction easily succumbs to…mental afflictions, leading to…harmful behaviors. If we can direct our attention away from negative temptations, we…[can] overcome them”.
* It may be that our own unique capacity for creativity, requires only the power of sustained attention to unlock it.
* “The mind [when] constantly caught up in one distraction after another…may be forever removed from its creative potential.
* The mind has the power to heal (the placebo effect), and it has the ability to make us ill…what other powers of the mind can we tap if we could learn those techniques?
* B. Alan Wallace contends, that as with any skills, that with drills, repetition and habituation, over time we can develop capacities that are currently out of our reach.
Our bodies need sleep to heal and grow. We know that when we sleep our minds are still active, processing information (dreams). We need to learn skills that allow our brains to decompress. Otherwise, our minds oscillate between agitation (monkey-brain, mind rut, stinkin-thinkin) and dullness are like my tablet when I don’t turn it off periodically. It schizo-phrenics-out and while turned on, is blank and won’t function. I didn’t know what this was the first time it happened and took it in to Best Buy to see what was wrong with it. All the tech did was turn it off. Count to ten. Turn it back on. MAGIC.
It needed to clear it’s memory and start fresh. Intriguing….come back for more.
The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind, B. Alan Wallace, PH.D., Wisdom Publication, 2006.
Living Joyously Tip for the Day:
Practice makes perfect!!! Untapping your creativity, professional success, health and emotional well-being may be as easy as simply focusing on it.