SIT UP STRAIGHT & PAY ATTENTION!!!
Meditation on Loving-Kindness
Untap your creativity, professional performance,
health and emotional well-being…not to mention overcome ADHD
Techniques for Training your Attention
This blog series has been exploring power of the untapped mind, for healing and success. Everything is energy…the more we can manage our energy, the closer we will be to our own personal goals and happiness. Following are some more insights and techniques from B. Allan Wallace’s book (reference at bottom)
Meditation on Loving-Kindness
Creating time to balance your mind requires a measure of loving-kindness for yourself. …make choices truly conducive to your well-being, as opposed to merely providing pleasurable sensations, may first need to cultivate loving kindness.
- Bring your awareness to the physical sensations in your body. Breathe into any areas that are tense or constricted.
- Be still…adopt a posture of vigilance.
- Take 3 slow, deep breaths, breathing through your nostrils, if you can.
- Expand first the belly, then the diaphragm and finally the chest.
- Exhale effortlessly, settling your body into a resting state.
- Attend to the rhythm of your breath for a few moments, letting it flow unconstrained by restless thoughts and emotions.
- Settle your awareness in a space of relaxation, stillness, and clarity.
- From this space of serenity, ask three questions
- What would I love to receive from the world in order to have a happy, meaningful, and fulfilling life [see Part 8 for definitions of genuine happiness]?…Allow the yearning to arise: may these authentic desires be fulfilled!… Now pursue this vision for your own happiness more deeply. Imaging that the world supports you in your aspirations
- What kind of a person do I want to become? What personal qualities do I want to possess?…Envision this person you would love to evolve into…Imagine that this transformation is actually taking place, here and now.
- What would I love to offer to the world, to those around me and to the environment at large? What mark would I love to make on the world? … Invite this vision into your consciousness, embellishing it with as many details as you can… Imagine this dream is realized in the here and now.
Before you conclude your meditation, expand the field of your loving awareness to embrace each sentient being, human and nonhuman, in your neighborhood, wishing, “May each of you, like myself, find the happiness you seek, and may you cultivate its true causes!”
Continue to extend your loving-kindness to everyone around you, gradually expanding your circle until it includes all beings through the world, each one seeking happiness just like you.
The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind, B. Alan Wallace, PH.D., Wisdom Publication, 2006.
This series of blogs is related to a book I am reading by B. Alan Wallace. I will be sharing my thoughts and findings as I go through it…feel free to visit me on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elaine-Scribner-Author/349499848483126 to pose me any questions or thoughts. My intention/hope is that I can post 2-3 times each week as I work my way through the book…so come back and visit me.
Living Joyously Tip for the Day:
May each of you, like myself, find the happiness you seek, and may you cultivate its true causes!”