Learn EFT and the Zip up strategies to manage ~~~~~STRESS~~~~~ and enhance Health and Happiness.
Print out the easy to use chart in orange, in the references below….
Watch my video clip: https://youtu.be/KZrO-3rumSc
This is an adjunct therapy, for physical or emotional pain, fear and anxiety. It is not a substitute for appropriate medical or mental health care. Pain is a sign/symptom that should not be ignored, therefore for serious mental health or medical conditions, you must seek appropriate care.
FYI: There are some slight variations by different practitioners, including a brief version of it. You can also use visualization of the tapping if you can’t actually tap, or it is uncomfortable to tap some of the areas (ex: sinus pressure, arthritis of the hands, broken hand or paraplegia).
Sometimes you may not know the cause of your feelings, state the feeling and choose how you want to feel: ex: Even though I am anxious, I choose to be calm and relaxed
At this point, watch one of the 1st 2 youtube clips under References
Sometimes if it is not working…may be your wording, or there may be more to the issue. If something else comes to mind as you are tapping, tap on that issue next. Below are some examples.
While doing the tapping the following may have happened…tap these as well:
Any new thoughts, feelings or sensation come up?
Other parts of the memory (movement, light, noise, etc.)
Another memory pop up during the tapping?
Any insights into the problem
Examples: CHANGING TOPICS/ISSUES
My sleep problem
Birth of baby
Afraid of the dark
Remaining trauma memory
Awake and alone
Repeat tapping/affirmation until discomfort is zero
&/or Change affirmation based on new thoughts/feelings/memories
Even though I still have….I choose to feel…. (positive affirmation)
then repeat affirmation until gone.
Panic Attacks – Steps to Freedom
- Heal the memory of the first panic attack
- Heal the memory of the most recent one
- Treat panic attacks that are recurrent
- Address fears of future panic attacks
- Halt any sign of panic before it escalates
Picking Effective Tapping Phrases
A couple of my favorite phrases are:
Even though I have this pain (or feeling upset…), I choose to be calm and relaxed
Even though I feel unsettled, I choose to let it go
A very simple and effective phrase is to say “Even though I have this _______, I choose to be calm and relaxed”. It works for many issues, pain and anxiety. I usually do a minimum of 3 rounds. First round of tapping I will repeat the short phrase “pain” or “upset” at each point. 2nd round I will alternate that phrase with “calm and relaxed”. 3rd round I will say “calm and relaxed” at every tapping point.
If you have picked a problem to work on such as procrastination or nausea and simply tapping with those words, it may not work. Work at tapping the belief or emotion behind the problem, such as “I’m afraid to fail, so I don’t get started”, or “chemotherapy always causes nausea” (see #3 & #4 below).
Gary Craig who developed this pattern has you saying “even though I….. I fully and completely accept myself”. Since it is also true that in order for this to work, you can’t lie to yourself. That is why I developed the phrase “I choose to be calm and relaxed”…not everyone can say “I fully and completely accept myself”, but they can say things like: “I am a good person”, or “I am doing my best” or I choose to let it go”, or again, my personal favorite: “I choose to be calm and relaxed”.
Gary Craig also talks about using it for things like Diabetes and has some stories from people about how they have regained control of their blood sugar. With this one you may have to use the “I fully and completely accept myself’, or if that’s hard, try “I fully and completely accept my diabetes”…accepting that it just IS [you don’t have to accept any debility with it, just the disease}.
Some additional reasons it may not be working:
- The Set-up was not performed completely enough (state issue louder or tap karate chop point harder)
- You are trying to apply EFT to more than one thing at a time
- The problem is being approached too generally or globally
- The problem is still not specific enough
- You need to get more clearly in touch with the issue
- Original memories need to be addressed first
- A second issue is interfering
- A “secondary gain” (hidden benefit) is interfering
- A “blocking belief” is interfering
- Your feelings about the issue are interfering
- A deeper issue is interfering
- You are switching aspects during the tapping
- Outside input is needed (therapist)
- Easy-to-use diagram: http://www.tapintoheaven.com/charts/EFT_Tapping_Chart_English.pdf
- Introduction to EFT, Gary Craig, available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKVVP8KXd4
- EFT Official Website: http://www.emofree.com/
- The EFT Manual, Gary Craig
- The Promise of Energy Psychology: Revolutionary Tools for Dramatic Personal Change, D. Feinstein, D. Eden, and G. Craig
- How to Pick Effective EFT Tapping Phrases, Stefan Gonick, EFT Practitioner, available at http://www.eft-alive.com/eft-article-when-eft-does-not-seem-to-work.html
- Another, very useful technique: Gamut Point training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYknPzTawBg